Monday 24 January 2011

Trouble with Conkers in Cocking

Time to take a quick look at some of the places we will visit along The South Downs Way.

First I found that the subject of an earlier blog: Cheesefoot Head is popular with US forces (as well as UFO’s and crop circles). It is a vast natural amphitheatre where, in April 1944, American troops gathered to see Joe Louis, the heavyweight champion of the world and where General Eisenhower addressed the American troops prior to D-Day.

Then on to Uppark House a National Trust property just outside Petersfield (and not far from where the Miller family of Liphook live). This house sits atop what was, by far, the longest & steepest hill on the London to Paris cycle ride I did back in 2009 (and which was the pre-cursor to all this Pollicott Belles cycling stuff). HG Well's mother was housekeeper there too - is that another UFO connection?

Next comes a section of the route called: Harting to Cocking and somewhere on the section is Didling Hill.

Starting with Cocking (well would you expect anything less of me). I googled it and (eventually among other things) I found the delights of the Cocking Community Website. The breaking news is that the petanque pitch and childrens play area are closed for the health and safety reason of dangerous conker trees. And (just when I was just thinking the place does not wholly live up to it’s name) I found 2 menu choices fabulously entitled ‘Column Unveiling’ and ‘Cocking Views’ and here I found this which I loved (click the link): http://cocking.org/index.php?option=com_morfeoshow&task=view&gallery=2&Itemid=53

Harting’s website just can’t compete so I am going to move on to: Didling Hill. I think this is another feature of London to Paris. We cycled past a truly beautiful church located in a field and (Victoria and I) spent a few hours afterwards marvelling at how lucky we were to be seeing such wonderful places on our route. I think this is the one – St Andrews, Didling Hill:

Suffice it to say that I am now so looking forward to this cycle challenge and can only hope that we get to see all these fabulous places in glorious sunshine! I'm taking a detour round Cocking to find that column!!

No comments:

Post a Comment