Sunday 13 March 2011

Unchained Malady?

My decision to get out of bed on Saturday morning despite a frenetic week scuppered Amber's plans for a quick whizz on the flatlands. I thought she wouldn't notice, when I suggested she meet me at Pollicott, that I had plans to re-route. But she had and at 7.40 am I got a call from Amber - "my chain is rusty and it's slipping" says she, "I'm not sure I can keep going - I might go tomorrow instead..." - I admit to being tempted to go back to bed but somehow I found myself saying "keep pedalling - I have lubes!" (Indeed I do have a wide selection of lubes for all occasions).

And so it was, at 8am on Saturday morning, Amber and I set off to do the hill training 'rollercoaster' route up the hills and down the vales that surround Ashendon. This was not the flat route of Amber's choice but if we can't do hills we will be walking a lot of the South Downs Way and the plan is to cycle it.

At the top of hill number one, Amber was very pale and admitted to being very worried about what was to come on our route. Guilty? me? no... "c'mon" I said, "you can do it". She didn't smile but she did keep going so I took that as a positive sign. We had a nice downhill cruise out of Chearsley with me yabbering away (trying to lighten the mood) and Amber giving me sideways 'I hate you, you are not my friend' looks.

At the end of the long (but not as steep as it feels) cruise up to Chilton I was ahead of Amber and took the opportunity to investigate a bridleway opposite the junction. What an exciting find, I just need to look at the map and I think we have a new route. As I looped back to find Amber she was definitely NOT in the mood to discuss my new found route and (after a short moment of pure joy when Amber realised we had only been cycling 36 minutes) we turned toward Chilton in contemplative silence.

Between Chilton and Dorton the unspoiled views across the Pollicott valley make this part of the ride truly glorious and even Amber managed to agree that it is a marvel to behold.

In Dorton we took the 'up and over railway line' hill in our stride and started the final leg toward Ashendon. This involves the Brick Hill climb (a short and sharp 1:10 hill with a mean little bend at the steepest point). The thing is Amber had already told me she "can't do it". The truth is she has never tried and I was in a meanly determined mood so - my response? You’ve guessed it "yes you can - you just have to believe you can (and get in the right gear)." Amber hhmmpphd at me stood up on her pedals and set off ahead of me toward said hill.

Concerned I may totally kill Amber's enthusiasm I stayed at the rear and despite stopping twice she didn't walk even one step of the way. She stopped, I circled round to stay behind and she set off again - twice. AND before we knew it Amber Ewers had cycled up Brick Hill and didn't even stop at Hill Farm (which is a perfectly acceptable breathing point when needed).

By the time we said our farewells in Ashendon Amber had got her colour back. By the time she was back in Westcott I think she had her smile back AND renewed enthusiasm too. There are moments in this cycle training lark that give me immense satisfaction!

1 comment:

  1. Haha love it. Sorry for my horrible mood on saturday - it wasn't you! Thanks again for support at the giant hill. Looking forward to next week.

    ReplyDelete