Thursday 14 April 2011

Be Prepared - Dib Dib Dib

Sometimes a Sunday morning training session is so much harder than the one before. With the glorious early Spring weather forcing us into an early firing up of Roger and Vickys barbecue, and the many delights that go with it, my Saturday night suggestion of a 6am start met with more than just a grunt of disapproval from Vicky. Don’t you just hate that warm sunshine, Rogers barbecuing skills, and wine?

Come Sunday morning, with grim determination and steely resolve, Vicky and I met in the lane at 9am (“oh come on, with Miller out of the way for the week and Amber working you didn’t really think we’d be out at 6am did you?”).

As we cycled out of Pollicott we hung a right and headed off towards the crossroads up at Nether Winchendon. No matter what way you go from Pollicott there’s always a hill, the top couldn’t arrive quickly enough but our destination this morning was the coffee shop in Haddenham, which meant the next bit was all down - whichever way you go. Our choice of route this morning was Barrack Hill, Cuddington, and into Haddenham and as usual, at the mere mention of coffee, Vicky began to peddle faster and faster.

Funny how some things can play with your mind. As Vicky began to pull away, clearly motivated by the vision of a steaming mug of coffee in her hand, I began to reflect on something I’d heard on the Jeremy Vine show about the power of positive thinking. The show in question featured people who had achieved exceptional outcomes in their lives simply by getting themselves in a positive ‘frame of mind’.

I’d been having a few ‘confidence’ problems since my little mishap in the ice, plus I’d been struggling with the hills lately – we used pretty much the same training routes as last year yet every hill seemed just that little bit steeper….and longer. Now I was watching Vicky powering away at the mere mention of coffee.

Without realising it we were in Haddenham pulling up outside the coffee shop where we were unexpectedly greeted by our Pollicott neighbour Robert who was sat outside enjoying a nice coffee on another day of beautiful sunshine. There is something nice about good company, warm sunshine, hot coffee, and butter croissants but, as the saying goes, all good things come to an end and soon Vicky and I was back on the bikes and making our way back out towards Pollicott.

As I pondered the ways in which I could turn positive thinking to my advantage Vicky almost had me cycling into the hedge - “I have to say Alex, I’m always amazed by what you keep in your bra” she yelled as we made our way back into Cuddington. Sensing my bewilderment I was offered a full explanation.

It appears that, since The Belles began cycling together many items of necessity have been produced from within my bra: mobile phone; keys; mints; and today money; “that is one heck of a bra” – chirped Vicky – “you ought to have been a honourable member of the scouting movement…..have bra, always be prepared”.

Dib dib dib back to Pollicott.

Alex xx

1 comment:

  1. I'm back and coffee stop this weekend may require a little more peddaling! Suggest you carry less weight in your bra!!

    ReplyDelete