Tuesday 2 March 2010

Ah….so much to tell since my last blog (you remember, the one where I fell off), two weeks have passed since and we have a little to catch up on. Lets start at the beginning:

Sunday 14th February 2010 - “Speed training today” beamed Sian as Andy began loading bikes up onto the car, “we’re off to the Phoenix Trail – and Andy will be coming with us as timekeeper”. This was worrying. Sian is vastly fitter than I am, Andy is probably as fit as Sian. As well as seasoned cyclists they ski, they walk, and I’m sure if I asked I’d find out they are ex-champion triathlon competitors who throw in a couple of extra events and another ten thousand metres just for the fun of it.

“Oh dear”.

For those not familiar with the Phoenix Trail it is an old disused rail track that runs from Princes Risborough to Thame. The rail tracks are long gone leaving a relatively flat and even trail that is ideal for walking, running, horse riding, and in our case cycling. Today we set off in the car to Thame, the plan being to set off and cycle towards Princess Risborough and turn back at Chinnor – not overly ambitious at first glance but let’s not forget, I had Andy as timekeeper and pace setter.

The ride was actually very enjoyable, this was the first time I’d been out on a relatively flat cycle ride and for once I did have time to take in some of the surroundings. Occasionally my ‘sightseeing’ got in the way of the serious training – I’d know when it did as Sian came cycling past with a gentle reminder of why we were here.

It was also an experience to actually have ‘things’ to overtake. All of my previous rides had been out on the road and I was getting kind of used to cars whizzing past me – today I had to learn to navigate past walkers; dog walkers; horses; and runners (OK – very slow runners).

When we got back to the car, loaded up the bikes, and began the drive back home, the tightness in my muscles began to let me know we’d done a little more than I’d realised. Nevertheless I was pleased – barely a month or so ago I’d have struggled to walk half the distance – Sian has been doing a wonderful job.

Had only she been able to do as much the next week!!

Sunday 21st February 2010 is, in some ways, a cycle ride best forgotten. For those of you who know the route from Ashendon through Wootton, Dorton, Chilton, Chearsley, and back to Ashendon, will appreciate how tough that could be on a mere novice like me.

The problem started the night before when we all got together for a bit of a curry night which, unfortunately got a little out of control and, ended up being a very late finish. The lack of sleep would have been a more manageable problem in isolation – but the ‘carnage’ evident in our bottle recycling box backed up the reason I was feeling so awful. My head was banging, my stomach was churning, and I really didn’t feel very well.

As we cycled out of the village my thoughts turned to survival, not the usual “don’t forget to keep peddling, don’t forget to breathe properly, and don’t forget your basic road safety”. Today I was thinking “do I stop to be sick, do I stay at the back so I’m not sick over everyone, will I make it back home”?

This morning my daughter, Annalise, was joining us Honorary Belle – this was her birthday weekend and came along to see what all the fuss of the last few weeks had been about. I was kind of hoping she’d get a bigger experience than just watching mum being ill at the side of the road.

I guess if I were honest the ride did get easier as time moved on and Sian had been wise enough not to let me in on the route at any time – had I know what she was planning I think I’d have stayed in bed.

I have to admit that most of the morning took place on ‘auto pilot’ but, as always, Sian was always to hand when it came to interesting facts about the places we cycled through.

History tells us that The Royal London School for the Blind original school was in Swiss Cottage but, during the Second World War, the children were evacuated to a property called Dorton House in Buckinghamshire. In 1954 the RLSB purchased the Mansion House Wildernesse in Seal, Sevenoaks, and a year later the school relocated and brought the name Dorton House with it. Something I shall keep in mind should that piece of information ever come up in a quiz night.

Despite feeling ‘jaded’ I have no doubt that the fresh air and exercise, combined with the tremendously good company of Sian and Annalise, gave a very positive boost for the rest of the day. And a lesson learnt – never again will I take liberties the night before training!!

Alex xx

No comments:

Post a Comment